Powered by Blogger.

a heart to heart about inspiration



A conversation about life inspiration, winter ruts, and feelings. 
In the winter, I'm always in a slump. Autumn is beautiful, inspiring, fresh, sunny, all my favorite tones. Then winter comes and I find myself struggling to feel any inspiration at all, then school starts up, and before I know it I'm just going through motions. Class, work, posts, emails, until my fingers want to fall off. And to find the time to put together an outfit that will still look chic in this weather...it feels practically impossible. Then going out and actually doing it. It sounds so dramatic, but it is the job, and I've gotten sick on multiple occasions from photographing in barely any clothes. Winter, no matter what, makes it hard to accomplish much of anything creatively. Does anybody else feel this way?

It is what I call the winter slump...and it is very real. It makes sense, though, because all we want to do is cozy up when it's cold and dreary. But I want to constantly be creating, constantly pushing out of my comfort zone, constantly creating inspiring content. In a world where everything is constantly going, it is so easy to get caught up in it. In the winter it all just feels dry, like my motivation is all used up. New Years resolution's dissolve before I even had a chance to think about them. It's frustrating feeling this way, and I wanted to have a heart to heart with you because maybe some of you feel this way too. Even though Instagram is all about perfection, we all know it is not reality, and I wanted to talk about how inspiration is hard. There are days, even full weeks, where I feel completely lost and tired. I pin things on Pinterest, going into a hole of feeling frustrated that I can't create the content I want to. I use excuses like it's too cold, studio spaces are expensive, I don't have a photographer. But on the flip side of things, it is all up to us to change it. Photograph inside! Set a camera on timer! It is cheesy, but I have to constantly tell myself that it is all in my own hands. Yes, I can create the content I want to, it doesn't have to be a full photoshoot. We should think of it as a creative challenge, pushing us to really think more about how we can achieve what we want. But, it takes time, as all good things do.

I guess I feel like I am having a conversation with myself here, but a lot of times people come to me asking how I stay inspired. My answer does include that it is hard and that I'm definitely not always motivated. It might sound ridiculous, but it really does take effort to stay inspired. Setting aside time to ourselves to look at books, magazines, and photographs is an effort. Compiling our favorite images and finding the perfect pieces to create a look is time-consuming. The best advice I can give is to keep your eyes peeled for new inspiration because it can come from anything--movies, people on the street, even great architecture can get creative gears turning. And, when you get in an inspiration rut, don't get down on yourself. I am going to create a more elaborated post on finding inspiration, so let me know what you think I should discuss. It is easy to feel lethargic about everything in the winter, but again, we all have to realize that there are moments when all we want to do is be lazy. And sometimes, that's truly okay.



14 comments

  1. Oh, Christie! Thank you so much for writing this post. That was honestly so refreshing to read. I live in California so I do not experience the harsh winter's you do, so I can only imagine how cold it gets to the point where you just want to stay in bed all day and do nothing else. Although, I was going through an inspiration drought for quite some time.

    Perhaps a way to stay motivated and inspired is to create a mood board for this month/season of things that will keep you going! I remember a few years back you made a mood board that you pinned to your wall in your room and shared it with us hehe! So that's something you could possibly do to get your creative juices flowing again during this cold season! Plus, it's so much more fun to create a physical mood board than to do it on the computer or phone! You could also make a video out of this for your YouTube channel if you wanted! I hope this helps you in some way! Good luck in school this semester hehe 😊

    Xoxo,
    Riley💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much Riley! Sometimes I really wish I lived in California so I wouldn't always feel this way come winter hahaha!

      Thanks so much for the ideas. I definitely want to do more things about inspiration in general! And yes, that mood board was so helpful! Will definitely let you know. Thanks so much and best of luck to you too!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that you have written this post, Christie! Thank you so much for staying open and honest, raw and vulnerable. I can completely relate to all of it. I wish you patience and inspiration.

    I think it would be great if you could start styling more weather-appropriate outfits. I am currently based in Stockholm, where it is cold, windy and snowy, so it is definitely not easy to look stylish, while not freezing to death.

    Stay warm and take care,
    xx
    Anastasiya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and for your lovely comment!

      I will definitely try to do that soon! I totally understand how it feels hahaha. Look forward to more posts like that coming up!

      Delete
  3. I love how honest and raw you are here. I think we live in a society where we are told that only by doing things and staying motivated and inspired we can become successful.
    We have to accept that breaks are a part of life and we can’t be on all the time.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and reassuring us that even successful people struggle with burnout.
    Lots of love, Kara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Exactly, we all need to realize that literally everyone goes through ruts, and not hide behind it via Instagram. Thank you and much love to you!

      Delete
  4. I feel you girl! I am a student in NYC too, and this weather feels like a literal and physical block to having fun with your style. We just have to stay strong and remember it will be over eventually! Love your blog :) Keep being you. Honestly, that in itself is inspiring many of your fans and followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! Yes, you're so right. Thank you so, so much. Sending love to you :)

      Delete
  5. Probably worth saying that reading your words, or looking at photographs, is totally inspiring <3. Don't underestimate how lovely are the things you create - looking at them, I would have had no idea you felt this way, ever. Your work is gorgeous. It feels like creative work, when not everyone's in this strange area of 'influencing' does at all...
    I think what you make is beautiful. And that sometimes, not having those things is what makes it feel different and more individual.

    -- Also, on a totally different note! -- I love the polaroid frame here and the film frames you use on insta. Do you use an app for these? Or edit each one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so, so much. Seriously, this is one of the best comments I've ever gotten. My goal is to have it be something more than just 'influencing' or 'fashion', I love that it can be taken into art and creativity, so seriously thank you SO much for this.

      Re your question: It's from an app called After Light! :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for saying something Christie! I was going through a little rut myself for what felt like forever(which was about a month) but being a content creator/blogger that can hurt you in the long run. I felt like I was letting my readers down but I also didn't want to publish something I didn't feel 100% about. I started to dive into pinterest more and tried to really just empty my mind of clutter to allow the creative juice to start flowing. And eventually it worked!
    Sidenote: where is that fuzzy little stem from? It's so stunning and adds such a neat texture to the room!
    Also if you get a chance, I'd love your opinion on my blog/instagram. I'm a small blogger but really trying to nail my aesthetic :)
    www.andreaswenoha.com
    www.instagram.com/andreaswenoha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea!
      Exactly, I hate publishing things that I don't fully LOVE too, so I totally understand where you're coming from. Pinterest can be such an amazing source of inspiration! The fuzzy stem I got from Canal Street Market, it's called pampas grass in case you want to look it up!
      Also, totally adore your Instagram, keep at it, you're so beautiful! And don't pressure yourself too much--again it takes so much time in nailing an aesthetic...I'm still trying to figure mine out after 4 years hahah! xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for taking the time to look and share your thoughts, that really means a lot! :) I feel like I'm constantly struggling to find that perfect tint or hue to make all my photos look cohesive but it's a serious struggle sometimes. Also trying to constantly have new content can feel daunting. lol
      I love the creative direction you're taking with your instagram and blog. It's so innovative and really shows how you can display fashion/home/beauty in a truly artistic way instead of looking like straight marketing. You're one of the most humble bloggers I've come across and that's what keeps me continuously interested in what you do. Thank you for sharing your art and please never stop! xo

      Delete
    3. Of course! I know, trying to have new content always can be really, really stressful, but honestly it's all up to you! You don't have to post everyday if you don't want to! That's what I'm trying to get myself into--only posting when I feel 100% sure.

      Thank you SO much, you have no idea how much that means to me! I am really trying to be more creative, so the fact that you see that made my day. Thank you and never hesitate in coming to me for advice! Good luck, though you don't need it, you're doing great! xx

      Delete